***UPDATE 1/20/2018 — This job has been filled, but we’re always looking for talented journalists. Feel free to send a cover letter and resume through the contact information at the bottom of this post.***
If you’re hungry to do sophisticated, data-driven journalism in one of the most beautiful cities in the U.S., we have a job for you at inewsource.
inewsource is a nonprofit, nonpartisan news organization with one explicit goal: to provide readers with the most authoritative and in-depth stories possible on issues that affect the future of everyday San Diegans. Whether we’re writing about local government, transportation, education, health, taxes or the environment, our small but versatile team of reporters works together to deliver these stories with precision through web, radio and TV.
Our investigative work has earned more than 100 awards, both locally and nationally, including multiple I.R.E., Edward R. Murrow and Best in Show awards. We strive for impact and accountability with every project, and make use of our network of partner stations – including the local PBS, NPR and CBS affiliates – to deliver those projects to an audience of more than 1 million people.
We’re looking for an investigative data reporter who understands the value of precision-based reporting. The ideal candidate is someone who can report on all topics (though political reporting will be a primary focus in 2018), can collaborate with colleagues on data projects, including data visualizations, wants to develop innovative ways to present complex data, and can continue to standardize and improve our nascent Data Center.
- Create, clean, analyze and maintain all types of databases, from campaign finance to healthcare to environmental to educational and others
- Present that information in a clear and intuitive way, through searchable tables, interactive graphics or maps
- Independently report and write your own stories
- Work well on a team, sharing responsibilities and credit
We are looking for a specific type of reporter. Please apply only if you have the following attributes:
- Natural instinct for accountability and investigative reporting
- Persistent in seeking documentation, public records and data to add context to existing reporting
- Meticulous about accuracy, precision and attention to detail
- Ability to discern relevance of data and identify flaws
- Skilled with data analysis software such as Excel, SQL, R or Python
- Skilled with software and data visualization platforms such as QGIS, Mapbox, Highcharts and Tableau
- Competence with statistics and data methodologies
- Experience and expertise in negotiating for access to and understanding of primary data
- Ability to visualize and tell stories in different, compelling ways
- Think critically and effectively in team environment
- Clear and concise writing
To be considered for this position, a data analysis test is required.
Pay commensurate based on experience. This position comes with full medical benefits, a 401k, three weeks paid vacation and sick leave. To apply, please send cover letter and resume to inewsource Director of Data & Visuals Brandon Quester: email@example.com
We'll let you know when big things happen.